This extremely sensitive contract involved the delicate strip out of the grade 1 listed Quakers Friary in the heart of the city, comprising of a Medieval Friary dating from 1230 and a Baptist Chapel dating from 1747. The interior needed to be completely removed prior to the refurbishment and re-fit of the space for its conversion into a restaurant. The work included the removal of internal structural walls, furniture, fittings, partitions, floor coverings, toilet areas, staircases and lath and plaster ceilings.
As the building was situated in the middle of the new Cabot Circus development with no vehicular access, the logistics of the contract meant that every item removed from site needed to be walked through the building and to a designated area for removal. Thorough planning was required to overcome the limited time and space available for removing the waste from site, using carefully planned skip drop-offs and pick-ups. Great care was taken to remove such items as original flag stone flooring, doors, skirtings and oak panelling, all in conjunction with the archaeologists, in order for items to be re-installed during the completion of the project.